When testing API configuration of the campaign on Step 4, you can encounter some issues if something was configured incorrectly on Step 2 or Step 3. In order to simplify your testing process, we created this Troubleshooting Guide that lists main issues that can occur:
1. Blank Ping Response Received on Partial Test
If a blank PING response is received during partial testing, there can be several reasons for that, that usually come from Step 2 of API Configuration.
Read instructions for each reason below and check if all mentioned is mapped properly:
Date Format in Change Test Lead Data Block
When using Change Test Lead Data option for date testing, enter date only in PX format (yyyy-MM-dd).
Otherwise, the test will not work properly and PING response area will be blank.
Current Policy Expiration Date
There are buyers that require sending the expiration date of the current insurance policy. However, sometimes leads do not contain this field, even if the person is insured. In this case, no value is specified in the mandatory Expiration Date field. This causes an error on buyer API and testing shows blank PING response.
That is why it is recommended to always set a default value for the Expiration Date field on the Mapping panel using Date Shifting functionality:
Other buyers require sending the Expiration Date field only if the person is currently insured. In this case, it is recommended to configure Perform Check functionality for the Expiration Date field:
1. Map the field in the Template Editor using Perform Check tags (XML example):
2. Click the Perform Check tag and map the Expiration Date field options on Mapping Panel:
- select Insurance Company in Check field dropdown menu;
- select Not equals in the Check type dropdown menu;
- select Currently not insured in Check value dropdown menu.
According to these configurations, PX system checks whether the person from the lead is insured. If yes, the Expiration Date field is sent in the request. If no, the field is not sent.
Save your mappings and test them on Step 4 for Insured and Not Insured leads to check if the request is accepted by buyer API and everything works properly.
Blank values on the Mapping Panel
Check if all values for fields entered into the Template Editor are filled in on the Mapping Panel. Each buyer field must be mapped to the most appropriate PX field. Otherwise, PING request can be rejected by the buyer API.
Check also if all Default Value and Custom Value For Non Collected Leads (mainly used for User Agent and TCPA Text fields) fields are filled in on the Mapping Panel.
API Builder has a hotkey for XML and JSON code validation (CTRL+SHIFT+F). However, for HTTP format such functionality does not exist yet. That is why you need to pay close attention if all tags in HTTP are placed correctly and check the following:
- All Start and End cloning tags are placed correctly;
- All closing tags for Perform Check exist and are not duplicated.
- All opening Perform check tag numbers correspond to closing tag numbers.
- If you have Perform Check configured inside other Perform Check tags, make sure the second Close Perform Check tag is closed before the first one:
2. Unmapped Error Message
If you receive an Unmapped Error message during Complete testing, there can be two reasons for that.
1. All or some of the Regular Expressions on Step 3 are configured incorrectly. Go back to the previous step and follow Regular Expression Templates document to check your regular expression configurations.
2. All or some of Status Codes on Error Mapping tab on Step 3 are not mapped properly.
Usually, buyer specification includes all errors that should be mapped to appropriate PX fields. Otherwise, if buyer has a testing environment, you can test your API configurations on all test leads until all errors are found. If there is no testing environment, it is recommended to contact buyer and ask the necessary information.
3. Rejected response – Unable to monetize
Unable to monetize error usually means that buyer does not want to buy this Lead. However, if such an error occurs, it is worth checking the following:
- All field values are properly mapped on the Mapping Panel in Step 2.
- Date formats are specified correctly in Step 2.
If the request mappings are checked and everything is well on PX side, it is recommended to contact a buyer on this matter.
4. Missing Field Error
If Missing Field error occurs on a Complete Test, PING RESPONSE code area contains a Message tag, where the missing field is specified. Return to Step 2 and map this field and its values according to buyer specification.
Not all buyers have such an error and sometimes there will be just Rejected response without any explanations. In this case, check once more if all fields and their values mentioned in buyer specification are mapped properly and sent in the request.
If everything is configured properly, it is recommended to contact the buyer.